Tango Lessons in Toronto
There are essentially three types of Tango — Argentine, American and International Style. If you’re looking for Tango lessons in Toronto, you’ve come to the right place, because at our dance studio we teach all three types of Tango lessons.
Types of Tango Lessons Available at Our Toronto Dance Studio
- Argentine Tango: (arrabalero) a dance created by the Gauchos in Buenos Aires. It was actually an attempt on their part to imitate the Spanish dance except that they danced it in a closed ballroom position. The Tango caused a sensation and was soon to be seen the world over in a more subdued version. Take advantage of our Tango lessons in Toronto to learn more.
- American Tango: Unlike the Argentine Tango, in which the dancer interprets the music spontaneously without any predetermined slows or quicks, the American Tango features a structure which is correlated to the musical phrasing. The dance is executed both in closed position and in various types of extravagant dance relationships which incorporate a particular freedom of expression that is not present in the International style. Learn more about this style. Try our Toronto Tango lessons.
- International Tango: This is a highly disciplined and distinctively structured form of the Tango which is accepted worldwide as the format for dance sport events. The dancers remain in traditional closed position throughout and express both legato and staccato aspects of the type of music appropriate to this style. Sign up to try our Tango lessons in Toronto to experience it for yourself.
The Tango is one of the most beautiful of all the dances. It is characterized by earthy and dramatic movements which you’ll learn in our Tango lessons. Toronto residents trust Arthur Murray to teach them the steps and to help make it fun. Try if for yourself!
The Tango began in the West Indies and found its way to Argentina where it was stylized by the Gauchos. It became the rage in 1921 after the silent screen star Rudolph Valentino brought this romantic dance to millions in “The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse”. More recently, it has been danced in movies such as True Lies and Scent of a Woman. Today, the Tango is considered the “dancer’s dance” and becomes a favourite of all who learn it. If you want to learn it and are in the GTA we can help. In fact, we also have studios where we teach Tango lessons in Toronto including Etobicoke (The Kingsway), Downtown Toronto (Yorkville), North York/Scarborough, and Vaughan (Woodbridge).
Tango Lessons – Characteristics
Wondering what to expect from your Tango lessons in Toronto? The hold in Tango is more compact than in other moving dances. The walk in Tango differs from walks in other dances in that it is a staccato action obtained by delaying the follow through of the free leg and foot. In order to achieve the distinctive style of the Tango it is important to develop controlled staccato footwork, along with fluid graceful movements. We’ve helped thousands of students become confident dancers with our Tango lessons in Toronto. The unique rhythm of the music is great training for timing and phrasing which develops as the dancer becomes more proficient. Tango practice is essential towards becoming a good dancer.
Music Used for Tango Dance Lessons
Our Toronto Tango dance lessons (as well as the Tango in general) use music that is usually written in 2/4 or 4/4 timing. The first teaching rhythm in tango is slow, slow, quick, quick, slow.
Tango songs and artists include:
- Hernando’s Hideaway , from “The Pajama Game”
- Whatever Lola Wants, from “Damn Yankees”
- La Cumparsita, by Julio Iglesias
- Por Una Cabeza, from “Scent of a Woman”
If you’re interested in other dance lessons such as Latin ballroom dance lessons, Samba lessons, Salsa lessons, Mambo dance lessons, Rumba dance lessons, Merengue dance lessons, or Cha cha dance lessons, Arthur Murray may be for you!
For Tango Lessons in Toronto, Contact Us!
Don’t wait another day to learn how to dance. Our Tango lessons in Toronto include all three types. Sign up for Tango lessons in Toronto or our other Latin dance lessons today. Want to consider learning more than once dance? Check out our list of ballroom dances.
Try us out for only $10!
Come out and dance! We’ll make you feel completely at home in our friendly atmosphere. All skill levels are welcome. Come on your own, or with a partner. No obligation!